Sunday, May 28, 2006

Why are you looking at me

Around a year back, while coming back home late one evening, I was groped by a man who immediately disappeared when I turned around in fright.

Too scared to say anything I ran home.

Another time I was followed home by another man. I quickly ducked into Shoppers Stop and called my dad to come and pick me up.

A third time I noticed a man openly gawking, turning back every two minutes to see where I was, gaping lewdly at my body.

I disappeared into a hospital, waiting for him to go before I dared to step out.

I've been groped in buses, whistled at while riding, been called everything from 'baby,' 'sweety,' 'lover,' and 'jaaneman.'

I kept silent.

Today I learnt how wrong, stupid, and dumb I was to submit to my fear.

While I stood with other women like me, while I stood at signals, looking men in the eye, daring them to look back at me, something strange happened.

Every man I looked at would NOT look at me. Every man whose eyes I met tryed to intimidate me, tried to supress me.

I din't back down.

And he would lower his eyes and go on his way.

It's only when we keep quiet, it's only when we show our fear that men continue: eve-teasing, street-harassment, their usual shenanigans. But when you look back at them, when you stare right back at them, they don't take it as an invitation, they don't think we're reciprocating.

They get the message. They get the vibes.

Back off!

All it takes is a little courage.

This audio clip says it all really.

(Blank Noise)

(X posted at Misfits)

6 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Books inc said...

^Yeah. Remember our discussion yesterday? My response :D

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Sanuta said...

Is this about the guy who 'randomly' touched u??
No jokes da.. but as u say.. One just needs a little little bit of courage to make these guys realize..
Really like :)

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Y? said...

totally!:)

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Madhuswetha said...

oh man bangalore that way is better i have 2 say when i went 2 kerala this time fish!!! it wuz so yuck! difficult 2 just be ur self....u cant really help at times..will u manage 2 yell and make everyother person realize??? well u have about hundreds of them repeatin and one day u'll give up...everyone does and thatz why we have such things existing even today ...

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'The Finger' works equally well...

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Books inc said...

^ LOL. No doubt. But how many people get the significance of the finger. And plus, insulting someone who has been leching at you may lead to more complications than you would desire...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home