Thursday, February 09, 2006

Rang deeee....

Today I watched Rang De Basanti.

It was...good.

I hesitate to praise it to the sky because there were some aspects of it that just struck me as stupid!

WARNING! Spoilers ahead!

Firstly, which policeman is going to get away with beating an old woman into coma?

Which defense minister is going to walk unguarded (well, relatively, at least) on the street, open to assassination attempts from all sides?

And what sort of fools are the black-cats to literally shoot down five defenseless men in the face of public criticism?

We all want to change the world. Hell, I know I do. But there are ways to go about it. Ways which don't involve killing or murder or lathi charges. If I were to change the world, here's how I would do it:

1) Distinguish myself in a particular field, mostly Human Rights, Journalism, or Social Work.
2) Find equally motivated people such as me who wouldn't succumb to the temptations of money.
3) Band together and form a political party, which shall then win the affections of the janta.
4) Win majority seats in parliament.
5) Make sure that the laws are fair and impartial, and more than that, actually enforced.
6) Find youth who are of similar temperament and opinions and make them continue our legacy.
7) Retire at fifty, leaving the government in the hands of the youth.

Rather idealistic, and almost impossible since I really can't speak a word of hindi but there's my ten year plan for you.

5 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

Ha ha, somehow I'm not suprised at what you think of the movie- ms.practical that you are. I must say your 10 year plan is pretty impressive though. At least you believe you can change the system without giving up before even trying.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Books inc said...

Hey. I'm an idealist. Not crazy. Just ean idealist :P

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Fish said...

"And what sort of fools are the black-cats to literally shoot down five defenseless men in the face of public criticism?"

The idea was to imply that even after independence - we are not free. Our own state has branded us, the people who try to bring about change, as threats - the black cats shooting the five protagonists is almost metaphorical in this case.

The movie was very idealistic but it's cinema - that's how it's supposed to be. Lofty ideals which we can emulate in some form or the other, if not completely.

I believe retaliation and violence is needed at some stage to confront the state that has gone corrupt - life isn't as step-by-step as your impressive ten year plan. Try changing people's mind about keeping the streets clean - and you'll know how tough a job it is to change the country or the world. Oh yes, I speak from a five year experience! :)

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Books inc said...

^LOL! I know exactly how difficult that is! The best way, lemme tell you, is to erect a mantap on the road, or a small temple. Nobody would dare then. :D

I agree, a little violence is needed to keep people in check but seriously though, how far can we allow that to happen before human rights are infringed upon?

I'm not saying the movie was terrible. I actually enjoyed myself :D But we still need to keep things real yeah? Yuva was built along similar lines, I guess and I still found that more real than this.

But then, that's just my opinion. My friend believes that it is in fact more real than I do and maybe it is? I don't really know what happens in politics do I?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger aswin said...

even if the sequence of the movie seems very stupid to u it has instilled a lot of youths. u came up with a 10 year plan and stuff like that.. you wouldnt have bothered to write an article in ur blog if that movie didnt exist .. thats why that movie is a success... so the point being the film makers dont want their audience to follow what they actually do but it shows and reminds us of the reality and tells us to wake up....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home